Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Belize ~ Part I

Belize! So much to say, so much to show! What a fun trip this was, especially because it lasted a whole week and not just a weekend! I'm going to have to break the trip up due to the amount of photos. Also, to give me time to search for my small camera that has additional photos-don't know where it is! Ack!

Most people give me a bewildered look when I tell them I went to Belize, so here it is for anyone who may be lost-Part of Central America on the Caribbean side.
A few bonuses to Belize-
1. Official language is English! Yay! What a blessing.
2. Exchange rate was ALWAYS 2:1. VERY easy math.
3. The People: Oh so friendly and wonderful! All they want to do is help you-not rip you off.

Getting there:
A.) Flew to Indiannapolis then to Charlotte then to Belize.
B.) Had to sleep overnight in Indiannapolis. It was VERY cold in the airport and we had not a single scrap of anything warm. (You wouldn't either if you were headed to 85 degree weather with 70% humidity) AND the lights were BLARINGLY bright. We're talking Super Bowl Stadium kind of bright. From 1 AM to 5 AM. ARE YOU JOKING ME? How is anyone supposed to get some shut eye in that kind of situation? They can't. We didn't.
C.) Arrived. Got our absurdly expenisve rental car. $60 a day! Say WHAAAAT? And that was for the cheapo POS that sounded like an earthquake was happening under the hood. Golly.
D.) Learned the hard way that it was so expensive due to the fact that only the one main highway was paved. The rest of the roads....well. I would have been happy with dirt. But noooooooo. It was something like this:

EVERYWHERE. Oh man it was rough. And the car was manual. Luckily Michael was driving. But still. It was Puerto Vallerta all over again. Oi Vey.

Okay. I've decided I can't go on until I have the rest of my pictures. So stay tuned for more on Belize! Starting with Xunantunich!

6 comments:

Busy Bee Lauren said...

How fun! Sorru about the expensive rental car, though!

Sackett's said...

Oh man I'm so excited to see what happened! One of the Sister's I lived with on my mission is from Belize. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelsea! I met you on Saturday, and I thought I'd stop by to read up on your travels! Looks like fun! I can't wait to see more pictures---I've heard Belize is amazing.

Anyway, it was nice to meet you!

http://www.archiveslives.com.

Geevz said...

Ooooo jealous! You sat at my table for a bit saturday. Sorry I didn't get to chat longer. I love your pictures and adventures!

Jami said...

WHAT, you travel??? Traveling is my all time favorite.
I traveled a lot in high school, and after...but then I got married, and prego, and poor...end of story!
I am jealous!

Crissie said...

Hey Chelsea, I was the old lady sitting at your table on Saturday. LOL! It was so nice getting to meet you. I'm so excited for you that you got to go to Belize. I've wanted to ge ever since a gal I worked with showed me her trip photos. Can't wait to hear and see more.